Friday, October 12, 2007

BWCA 2007

Although it has already been a month since we returned from our Boundary Waters trip, the details of the experience are still fresh in my mind. Jodi & I planned for this trip intermittently, as she was trying to prepare for a move to her new house, and I was in the throes of the construction of our new building for our business. Let's not forget that she & I were both preparing, as best we could, for the upcoming homeschool year too. It probably wasn't the best time to be packing up for a 3-day trip into the wilderness, but I suspect it was as good a time as any.

This could certainly be a marathon post about the different aspects of the trip, but I'll have to save that for another time. When I think of the trip though, the 1st thing that comes to mind is RAIN. It is reported that the area received 9-12 inches on our second night out. I don't doubt it at all, as the waterline on our camp shore rose almost a foot in less than 24 hours. I'm pretty sure that Jodi & I heard every drop fall too. There was little sleep to be had that night, as I cringed with every lightening strike. The thunder was deafening. For. hours. I was sure a falling tree was going to take us out. Our camp didn't seem to have any damage, but on a portage trail the next day, we saw a very large pine reduced to splinters from a very recent strike.

I can't wait to go again, and I am hopeful that Jodi will agree to join me. I couldn't ask for a better paddling pal. She proved to be an excellent navigator, as well as the trip photographer. I regret not offering to take more pix of her. I think I was just in awe of our surroundings.

With that, I'll leave you with a slide show of our trip, and the recommendation that you never pass up a chance to paddle the Boundary Waters, even if just for a short day trip. You will not regret it, rain or shine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More information about the BWCA can be found at:
http://www.bwca.cc

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to New Blogger by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro