Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Meet a Fellow Water Diva....Gigi!


Name/Nickname:
Gigi Stafne

Where are you from?
I was born in Eau Claire, WI then quickly flown off to live in Key West, FL...later Newport, RI as a young Navy Brat. I think that living next to beautiful oceans in my early years contributes to my passion for the water element and paddling of large bodies of water! Other places I have lived as an adult: Boulder, Colorado, Eau Claire, New Auburn-Long Lake regions of Wisconsin...and near Lake Superior!

Family? Do they share your enthusiasm for paddling?
Everyone in my family and extended family has now been kayaking...with the exception of my mother and one sister. Including my grandgirl, Hannah, who is an avid paddler and young water diva who started kayaking with us at age 5 (now age 11). My partner, Jim Nichols, first inspired me to kayak...something like 15-18 years ago now. Although, where you will often find me teaching on the water--Lower Long Lake (Chippewa Co, WI) is where I first learned how to canoe at age 10 years. Right at the YMCA Camp Manitou!

Where do you work and how long have you been at it?
For me, work has always been play and I am passionate about my businesses: MI ZI ZAK KAYAKS (5-6 years), Adventure Botanica (new biz) & Center for Healing Arts Herb & Eco School (15+ years). My first career was running domestic abuse/sexual assault programs...the second has been natural & botanical medicine...now my passions of plants and paddling have become my businesses. I feel so fortunate.

Other than paddling, what hobbies do you enjoy, or interests do you have?
Domestic & international travel, grandkids, gardening, foreign films, ethnic foods, dancing, music, writing and time in nature.

Tell us something about yourself that most people don't know (unusual skill, second language, ancestry, etc.)
I am like a roaming & paddling cultural anthropologist. I have trekked to Cuba to study the healthcare system. I head up a WI Chapter of the group called, Herbalists Without Borders and love to write with books I am hoping to publish.

Do you belong to any paddling clubs or associations?
Water Divas now! Pure Water Paddlers (Related to paddlesports, etc: Travel Green Wisconsin, Wilderness Outfitters Guides Assoc & Paddlesports Industry Assoc (last 2 membership fees headed in right now as we speak!)

When did you first try paddling, and who introduced you to the sport?
I mentioned this above....in a canoe at age 10 years and never stopped.

What kind of boat(s) do you own?
Oh my! I have a kayak-paddlesports biz, so I am lucky to own a lot of kayaks. My favorite boat through the years has been a very responsive little Necky Gannet--originally made in Canada--but no longer made.

What's the longest paddling trip you've ever been on?
5 day paddling-camping trip, Lake Superior-Apostle Islands. Beautiful!!!

What memorable places have you paddled? What did you enjoy most about it?
Lake Superior-Copper Harbor Area near the UP, Apostle Islands-Lake Superior, Pacific Ocean & Mississippi River backwaters!

What would you consider to be the ultimate paddling adventure?
So many places, so little time!!! Top of my list: fjords in Scandinavia, paddling in parts of Asia.

What has been your worst paddling experience?
This started with an invitation that I received from a neighbor right when we moved further north in WI. We did not know the group of 15-16 mainly men that went on the trip. They just really did not know how to take care of one another, watch out for one another, etc. Most everything that could go wrong...did go wrong. Someone ruined their canoe...so my partner and I shared one of our boats with them...which meant we went down a rapids (small waterfall!!!) together in a single cockpit kayak. Lesson: KNOW the people you are paddling with if it is an unguided trip!

Do you have big paddling plans for 2008, or in years to come?
2008 is FULL of exciting programs through my business, MI ZI ZAK KAYAKS. Those will all be a thrill. In the Autumn into 2009 I am really stretching my wings. One of the trips will be to Asia...Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand...plants & paddling!

No comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to New Blogger by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro