Thursday, March 20, 2008

Meet a Fellow Water Diva....Paula!


Name/Nickname:
Paula Boos

Where are you from?
I live in Chippewa Falls, but I grew up in Jim Falls

Family?
I've been married to my best friend, going on 21 years now, on the 21st of March! We have 2 great children. Our son is currently enlisted in the United States Navy. Our daughter is a senior in highschool and will be heading off to college at the U of M Minneapolis/St. Paul this fall. Then, there is our dear girl, Belle. She is our 101 year old (14 in human years) black lab/golden retriever. I might be a little biased, but she is the sweetest dog God has ever put on this earth. Ask me sometime to tell you the story about how we acquired her. It will melt your heart!

Do they share your enthusiasm for paddling?
They are enthused that I am enthused, and would consider going on an overnight paddling trip, but they do not feel the itch to just "get out and paddle" like me.

Where do you work and how long have you been at it?
I work at Kell Container-Great Northern Corporation. I have been there since May of 2006. I work 1 shift (7am-3pm) & I am a machine operator on the production floor. I mostly make cutouts of self folding & interlocking boxes as well as divider cutouts for protecting products inside of boxes during shipping. FYI-if you need a few boxes or sheets of corrigated, let me know, I have connections.
Other than paddling, what hobbies do you enjoy?
I consider myself a "Jill" of many trades, but a master of none! My interests stretch across a broad spectrum, from sewing to deer & turkey hunting and everything in-between ( sewing, crocheting, cross-stitching, crafts, gardening, cooking and baking-especially when camping, golf, riding my bike, camping, hiking, fishing-especially from my kayak, photography, birdwatching, snowshoeing, woodworking & using powertools, deer & turkey hunting).

Tell us something about yourself that most people don't know (unusual skill, second language, ancestry, etc.)
I make baskets, covered boxes, and wall art out of birch bark, called Bark Art. All are hand cut, hand formed, hand stitched, and no two ever look alike. The bark is harvested from trees that are scheduled to be cut down by loggers. I also offer a sewing service, and if you are in need, please keep me in mind. My add at work reads: "Hemming, Mending, & Alterations from children's to adult clothing - delicates to hunting gear. Price is determined by difficulty of task." I work with some women, but mostly a lot of men, and they are pretty hard on their clothes. Most do not have wives or relitives that sew. It's a nice little side biz.
Do you belong to any paddling clubs or associations?
I belong to the PWP (Pure Water Paddlers)

When did you first try paddling, and who introduced you to the sport?
I think the first time I paddled was in a canoe at Camp Manitou and I was about 11 years old. I got hooked when I was in highschool. I joined what was called The Outdoor Club. Every May, our group went on a 3 day canoe trip down the Namekagon that eventually met up with one of the forks of the Chippewa. My friend, Sue, and I were partners every year. We never backed down from the challenge of the big rapids (I think about class III & IV, it just depended on how high the water level was). The adrenalin rush was empowering and we made a great paddling team!

What kind of boat(s) do you own?
I paddle a Wilderness Systems 125 Tsunami

What piece of gear goes with you on every trip?
Funny story: The first time ever that I took my new boat out, I loaded it myself, I tied it down snuggly, I drove to my put in spot, I checked - the tie downs had stayed snug during transport, I unloaded it all by myself, I carried it down to the water by myself,. . . I was bursting with pride, full of confidence and visions of how easy this whole process was always going to be. I put on my PFD & looked around, then the wind was knocked right out of my sails! "Oh, crap!" was my next thought. I had forgotten my paddle! Now, I'm serious when I ask you this question: Guess what is NOW the first thing I put in the car before I even load my boat? You guessed it! My paddle.

What's the longest paddling trip you've ever been on?
3 days

What memorable places have you paddled?
1-The Namakogen/Chippewa in HS as stated above.

2-My husband and I went to Ely, MN for a few days, about 10 years ago, and we rented a canoe for a day and went to the BWCA. It was a gorgious July day, even the bugs were not too pesky, and despite the difference in our paddling styles/techniques, and the fact that our canoe went zig/zag more than it went straight, we remain happily married!?! (It's ok, you can laugh, we do)

3-I also have to say that last July, I went with a few of the Water Divas on a kayaking day trip on the northern stretch of the Bois Brule River. My boat was basically "christened" that day. It saw a lot of action, mostly ROCKS and it still has all the scratches & gouges to prove it.

What did you enjoy most about it?
As far as the BWCA trip with my husband, it was so nice to just "get away from it all" and just be together. On the Bois Brule trip, I saw up close, for the first time, a live lamprey, but, what I enjoyed the most, besides the wonderful camaraderie, was paddling around a corner and looking ahead & seeing the opening to the great Lake Superior! Mystifying and spellbinding are the only two words that come to mind when I think about it.

What would you consider to be the ultimate paddling adventure?
The ultimate paddling adventure would be FREE and would take place somewhere off the coast of Alaska, which would include seeing wildlife and sealife. But, I'd settle for the next best thing: A paddling trip in northern MN, or the BWCA, and seeing moose (or even just one) on a trip. I've yet to see a moose in real life.

What has been your worst paddling experience?
Back in HS on one of our 3 day trips, I don't remember which year, it rained on the last day. Our takeout spot was at a resort called the Flambeau Lodge, at that time (not sure if it's still in operation). It must have been on a wide spot on the river and paddling to it felt like crossing a lake. The wind and the rain were miserable to say the least. We could hardly see, the wind blew the rain into our eyes, and we had a difficult time keeping our canoe on a straight and steady course. Something I've learned about life is this: "There's no way to appeciate the good without having had experienced the bad." My common phrase at work on Monday mornings to my fellow (and grumpy) coworkers is, "We can't get to Friday without having Monday." (Can you tell that I'm a "glass is half-full" kind of gal?)

Do you have big paddling plans for 2008, or in years to come?
2008: I'm hoping to go on some overnight/weekend paddling trips. I'm looking forwrd to the challenge of learning the difference between what to take and what (I think) I need to take and the logistics of how to efficiently & evenly pack it all into my kayak.

Future: Perfecting my stroke and becoming more confident & knowledgable about the whole paddling/camping trip experience itself; from logistics, location, safety, . . all the way to the feeling of, "It's good to be home".

No comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to New Blogger by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro