Monday, March 31, 2008

Meet a Fellow Water Diva....Tammy!




Name/Nickname:
Tammy Anderson

Where are you from?
Corpus Christi, TX - Colorado Springs, CO - Chetek, WI (in that order)

Family? Do they share your enthusiasm for paddling?
My hubby & 3 kids. Hubby tolerates it, the kids love it! My girls have always thought that the rear hatch of my boat was where they were supposed to paddle from.

Where do you work and how long have you been at it?
I'm mom & wife first, I homeschool our kids (grades 5, 1, preschool), I keep our company books (hubby owns a repair shop, just expanded!), I waitress 1-2 nights a week for my sanity.

Other than paddling, what hobbies do you enjoy?
I love camping, and making big plans for my hobby farm. I have chickens now, a pony, and there's talk of a dozen feeder pigs taking up residence in the spring. I love to go for walks, and I'm currently training for a 3 day walk in September to raise money for cancer research. You can click here to find out more.

Tell us something about yourself that most people don't know (unusual skill, second language, ancestry, etc.)
I want to be a meteorologist when I grow up. : )
Seriously, I don't pay too much attention to weather forecasts. The sky, wind, and air will pretty much tell you all you need to know. You just need to watch, feel, and breathe deeply.

Do you belong to any paddling clubs or associations?
I thought about joining a co-ed paddling club awhile back, but women need a way to gather and just be women. So I started the Water Divas, with some help from our club photog, Jodi. I also plan to pursue more training and I hope to someday be certified in kayak instruction.

When did you first try paddling, and who introduced you to the sport?
I'm guessing it was about 7 years ago. My friend Julie got me hooked one night after she got off work. The Red Cedar was my initiation. I only wish I would've started younger!


What kind of boat(s) do you own?

I own 2 Dagger Blackwaters, and 1 Old Town Loon Tandem. I'm searching for something a little more advanced. The Daggers are great "starter" boats.

What piece of gear always goes with you? My PFD, and an extra paddle. I've never needed the paddle, and I've yet to be dumped from my boat, but they're both cheap insurance.

What's the longest paddling trip you've ever been on?

2 day trip to Sand Island on Lake Superior. Beautiful, scary. Would do it again in a heartbeat.


What memorable places have you paddled?
The White River in eastern Bayfield County.

What did you enjoy most about it? Very narrow, high banks, felt very remote. We ran a set of rapids that a group of men were portaging. We all made it through with no trouble, hootin' & hollerin' the whole way.

What would you consider to be the ultimate paddling adventure?
Exploring the slot canyons of Lake Powell of Arizona, camping on the warm sandy shore, feeling infinitely small
while sleeping under infinite stars.

What has been your worst paddling experience?
Paddling back from Sand Island with a strong Northeast wind pushing me from over my left shoulder. Seasickness set in before the 1/2 way point. I was paddling tandem with someone who shouldn't have been off the mainland. I kissed the shore when we made it.

Do you have big paddling plans for 2008, or in years to come? I plan to kayak some of the BWCA. It's not all portaging, as some canoe purists would have you believe. Also, there's been some rumblings about a Lake Powell trip to celebrate a big birthday for a fellow Diva. WOO HOO!

No comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to New Blogger by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro